May 10, 2013

New Friends


Today's aventura included a trip to the supermercado (supermarket), en el coche (by car) for a few staples (which, for me, are avocados, coffee and water), and perhaps a few local foods to try.  Easy enough, yes?  BAAAA HAAAA!!  I'll spare you most of the details, and sum it up by saying it was a 3-hour venture (did I mention the supermarket is less than a mile away?) and that I heard myself saying things like "Oh... Um... Wait a minute... This is a ONE-way street? SHIT!" ...and... "That's a STREET?  Are you SURE?  It looks like a sidewalk!  Am I really supposed to drive on THAT?  Okaaaay, heeeeere goes nuthin!"  I'm sure I committed no fewer than 10 traffic violations. But, surprisingly, no one honked their horn at me, nor did they wave violently out their window, and not a single middle finger did I see. Disconcerting as that was, it made me smile! ….as I drove around the same block for the umteenth time!  ;)

The return trip was far less eventful (unless you count the part where the garage is really only big enough for Barbie's dune buggy!), and besides, now I know how to get to Portugal! So what's so bad about that?  *wink*  P.S. as I unloaded my groceries, I realized I forgot avocados! 

After that little adventure, I decided it was time for a little siesta (when in Spain...), and a few hours later, I was back out the door to enjoy another balmy evening! I walked all the way across the street before I was drawn into (yep, you guessed it) a tapas bar! Actually, I didn't go inside, but instead, sat at a lovely table outside where I could gawk at all that was occurring in the street. It was “early” for the Sevillanos, and I was one of only a few patrons at “La Chunga.”  Although I didn't know it yet, La Chunga would soon become my favorite spot, and my "go-to" for tapas on many occasions. I sat there happily drinking wine and eating tapas, and as time passed, watched the little spot start to buzz. Little by little, more and more people arrived, and eventually, it was so crowded that there were no vacant seats or tables. Wow, how did I know this was the “place to be?”  Eventually, two girls, Yeruna y Paula, came by, and ordered drinks and some tapas. As they were standing near my table, I offered for them to use it for their drinks and tapas. I extended the greeting for them to sit as well, except there were no available seats. They lingered however, and we introduced ourselves and chatted.  Both originally from Sevilla, they shared with me how much they enjoy living here. The next thing I knew, Yeruna had ordered another round for all of us! And then our evening truly began... They eventually commandeered some seats, and the three of us proceeded to spend the rest of our evening getting to know one another. My two new BFFs are massage therapists.... ahem! ...the “special” kind. Tee hee! The flailing economy in Spain has not had an effect on their industry thus far. Go figure! No, I won't be availing myself of their services. Yes, we did make plans to get together again!  :)

Yet another a lovely evening!  I keep forgetting to make note of the wines I'm tasting.  They are delicious!

Más pronto...

No comments:

Post a Comment